Some Things that Make Me Happy (My List)
If you are looking for an answer to the question “What makes you happy?” The answer is you need to make a list for yourself.
I’ll give you my list as a brainstorming point below. But you should know that this list is going to be different for everyone.
Your happiness is as unique as you are. Of course, there may be some overlap between our lists possibly. Because there are some universal things that make people happy – example, who doesn’t like puppies? Anyway, you see what I mean.
How to Make Your List of “What Makes You Happy”?
In the previous post in this happiness series, you were asked to think about what makes you happy as part of your commitment to happiness.
Today we’re going to dig a little deeper because there are a lot of things that make us happy on a regular basis.
To begin, think about the simple little things that put a smile on your face. It could be a person, a thing, an experience, an action, or a song, the list goes on and on.
One easy way to increase our overall happiness and contentment is to simply do something that makes us happy every single day. A goal (and a benefit) of this challenge is for you to come up with your own personalized list of things that make you happy.
Let me give you a few ideas of mine and some things to think about. Then I want you to grab a pen and a piece of paper, your laptop or phone and start typing away on your list.
How do I Make a “What Makes You Happy” List?
The first thing to do is to start by writing “What Makes Me Happy?” at the top of your page. Once you have that, you can either write, type, or dictate into your phone your ideas for your list of things that make you happy.
You don’t want to overthink this or make it too hard. And your list doesn’t have to be an organized or neatly categorized list either. This is your first draft and brain dump.
Just go ahead and start brainstorming those things that make you happy and jot those things down. You can complete this list over time and add to it as you want as well. So don’t feel pressured to come up with everything all at once.
And, especially, feel free to add to the list as time goes by. Eventually you will be in the habit of noticing the things that make you happy. And in turn, you can then add them to your list throughout this challenge and beyond.
Start with The Big Things in Life that Make You Happy
If you are feeling stuck while making your list, try starting with some of the big things in life that make you happy. For example, what generally has the biggest impact on your mood for the day?
- What people in your life make you happy?
- What things do you own or have access to that bring you joy?
- What activities and hobbies do you have that bring you a lot of joy and contentment?
This could also include things like what gestures or actions put a big smile on your face.
The Big Things in Life Ideas List
- Good health
- Your Loved Ones – Father, Mother, Daughter, Son, Grandparents
- Your friends
- Extended Family
- Vacations and Road Trips
- Family Traditions like Holidays (Santa, Thanksgiving, Yearly Vacations, Activities like seeing the Christmas Lights)
- Favorite Places you love to visit- Cities, States, Countries
- Favorite types of places to be – Ocean, Beach, Parks, Forest, Mountains, etc.
- Big life events – Marriage, Births
- Birthday Celebrations
Now, Add the Little Things that Make You Happy
I think we all know the small things in life can be just as important as the big things. And they are a lot easier to access some days as well. Here is a quick list of some small things that can be happy things to add to your list and your day.
Super Simple Ideas or List of Things to Do to Make You Happy
Things You Can Do at Home
Clean House – There is nothing quite like coming home to a clean house after a long day. Whether you cleaned it yourself or hired someone to do it, coming home to a tidy space can instantly boost your mood.
Delicious Meal – Nothing makes me happier than sitting down to a delicious meal. Whether it’s something I’ve cooked or takeout from my favorite restaurant, a good meal always hits the spot.
Relaxing Bubble Bath – There is nothing better than soaking in a hot bath after a long day. Add in some candles and soothing music, and you have the perfect recipe for happiness.
Good Book – Getting lost in a good book is one of my favorite things to do. It’s a great way to escape from the stresses of everyday life and enter into another world. Find some great book ideas here with NPR’s Book of the Day.
Time with People You Love
Spending Time with Loved Ones – There is nothing that makes me happier than spending time with the people I love. Whether we’re just chatting over coffee or going on an adventure, I cherish every moment I get to spend with them.
Helping Others – I get a lot of satisfaction from helping others, whether it’s volunteering my time or simply doing something nice for someone else. It feels great to know that I’ve made a positive impact on someone else’s life.
Laughing Until My Sides Hurt – Laughter truly is the best medicine, and there is nothing that makes me happier than laughing until my sides hurt. Whether it’s watching a comedy or just joking around with my family and friends, laughter is sure to put a smile on my face.
Spontaneous Acts of Kindness – One of the best things you can do to make yourself happy is to perform a spontaneous act of kindness. This could be something as simple as buying a coffee for the person behind you in line, or sending a thank you note to someone who has done something nice for you. These acts of kindness not only make the other person happy, but they also make you feel good as well.
The “Other” Category
Do Something You Love – Doing something you love is another great way to make yourself happy. Whether it’s playing a sport, reading your favorite book, or taking your dog for a walk, doing something that brings you joy is sure to lift your spirits.
Being in Nature – I am so lucky to live in an area with so much natural beauty. Going for a hike or just taking a walk in the park always clears my head and boosts my mood.
Accomplishing Something Important – I always feel happy when I accomplish something important, whether it’s finishing a big project at work or crossing something off my bucket list. It’s great to know that I am making progress and achieving my goals.
Further Examples of Small Things that Can Make Your Life Happier
- Having your favorite beverage just the way you like it – whether it is your first cup of coffee in the morning or a hot chocolate with all the fixings
- Picking up a good book by your favorite author
- Hearing your favorite song on the way to work
- Going for a long walk with your dog
- When one of your favorite TV shows has a new episode available or a new season to binge watch
- Crossing something off your to-do list (for the type A personalities)
- Date nights with your significant other
- Eating at your favorite restaurant with a friend
- Writing in your gratitude journal 3 things you are grateful for today
- Taking a hot shower with your favorite scented soap
- Inhaling a deep breath when you first step outside for the day
- Spending rainy days inside under a blanket and feeling cozy
- Making the most of a sunny day and having a picnic in the warm sunshine
- Enjoying a fresh haircut or a good hair day
- Learning some new recipes to try out on your family
- Getting to know a new friend
- Having your favorite ice cream on a scorching hot day
- Enjoying quiet time with your child
- The beauty of a hug from your spouse
- Listening to live music from your favorite band
- Breathing in the fresh air in your backyard
- Fresh flowers you bought at the market
- A pretty flower you just found in your garden
- Having five minutes to do whatever you want to do in a busy day
- Clean sheets on your bed
- Giving someone the perfect gift for them
- Spending time with a close friend
- New school supplies to start a new year
- Going for a bike ride on a pretty day
What would you put on your own “things that make me happy” list?
While this list of simple things is nice, what really matters is what you would like to have on your own list. Because you will benefit from becoming more aware of what makes you happy and brings a smile to your face.
When you do something that makes you laugh or smile, take notice, and add it to your list of things that make you happy. This will be a great resource for you to have now and for all time.
One added bonus to making this list is that it will make you feel grateful and content. And just looking at this long list of people and things that bring you happiness can be enough to help through some rough patches.
So, take some time now and go and make your own list of things that make me happy and other simple pleasures that make your heart sing. You won’t regret doing it.
The 30 Day Happiness Series
Create Your Own Happy List with Free Printable
Get your free printable pdf with 5 pages (100 total things to track) that make you happy by joining the happiness email series.
Did you like this article? If so, please share on Pinterest to get the word out. Thank you!
While you are here, make sure you grab your copy of the "Self-Care Mini-Guide" to help you figure out how to add self-care to your daily life. Just click the link Loveselfcare Self-Care Mini-Guide to download your guide!