When do you need an attitude of gratitude the most? Precisely when you have it the least. This is just one of the many paradoxes of life.
When you are feeling great about life and everything in it, it is very easy to be grateful. When you feel the opposite and everything is crap, it’s very hard to feel gratitude initially. That doesn’t mean it is impossible.
“Gratitude is riches, complaint is poverty.” Doris Day
The very act of thinking of things you are grateful for and naming those things can make you feel more gratitude and therefore put you in a better mood. So, how do you cultivate an attitude of gratitude? You don’t have to be a sorcerer. You just need to have a pen, paper, and an open mind and heart.
25 Ways to Cultivate Gratitude for Your Life:
- Are you alive? (Yes equals Gratitude)
- Does anyone love you? (Yes equals Gratitude, bonus points if you can think of more than one)
- Do you have food to eat when you are hungry? (Yes equals Gratitude – you get the idea!)
- Can you find a place to lay your head at night?
- Are you able to share space with people you love?
- Do you have good health?
- Does your family have good health?
- Do you have a pet?
- Can you go outdoors if you want to?
- Do you have any spiritual beliefs?
- Are you fortunate enough to have a basic education?
- Do you have some money in the bank?
- Can you live comfortably day to day?
- Do you live in a free country?
- Are you happy with your relationship status?
- Is there something you get excited about in this world?
- Do you have a chance to live this life again tomorrow?
- Is your mind intact?
- Are you lucky enough to have indoor plumbing? (Sorry, but this is not to be taken for granted.)
- Is your closet full of “nothing” to wear?
- Do you have clean air to breathe?
- Do you have a friend? (Bonus points if they are a great one or if you have more than one)
- Are you blessed with any talents?
- Do you have a job?
- Are you able to say what you feel on a regular basis?
And, how much time do you have because this list could be endless!
I would say if you responded yes to any of the basic (and at the same time – very important items) – you have much to be grateful for. Quite possibly many somethings and the list could go on and on.
The more you get down to basics the more you discover you should be truly grateful for and therefore happy with your life. If we can remember this basic gratitude list during a down day, we will be happier.
We are blessed in this world to be LIVING IN it. Good day friends!
While you are here, make sure you grab your copy of the "Self-Care Mini-Guide" to help you figure out how to add self-care to your daily life. Just click the link Loveselfcare Self-Care Mini-Guide to download your guide!