Do you long for your very own retreat? Virginia Woolf famously said in her 1929 book “A Room of One’s Own” that women need their own space to create. She stated:
“a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.”
Whether or not you plan to write fiction, there is a continuing interest today in woman finding a room of their own. If you Google “A Room of One’s Own”today, you will find references to Woolf’s book. However, you will also find links to a new trend for “She Sheds” and “Woman’s Sheds” as a place for women to have their own space.
And, the “Today” show recently had a segment regarding this trend called “Why She Sheds are the New Man Cave“. There were many reasons cited for why women need a space of their own. But, most of them had to do with getting a break from the overwhelm they feel on a daily basis from work, family responsibilities, etc.
Why Women Want a Place to Call Their Own
So, why all of this interest in women finding a place of their own? Well, ask anyone who has ever had children, or a husband, or pets for that matter, sometimes you just need a break! For at least one hundred years, women have been interested in finding a place where they could find a retreat from the world to do what they would like. I think that is part of the heart of the matter. Permission to relax and retreat as needed in a space they get to call their own.
Whether the retreat space is a creative one or just one for relaxing, the desire to find a private place to think your own thoughts is the same. The definition of retreat according to MacMillan’s Dictionary is:
Am I the only one who thinks that sounds magical?
And while not everyone can have their own tiny house or shed in their backyard for practical reasons, there are options for the rest of us.
Main Elements of “A Room of One’s Own”
- Can be any space- see below for ideas
- Decorated as you like -If men get to decorate their man caves as they like with bar signs and electronics, then you get to decorate exactly how you would like without compromise – as girly (or not) as you want.
- Peaceful and private – goes without saying
- Displaying elements that speak to you – chose decorations that mean something to you
- Remind you of your best memories – display photos that remind you of the best in your life
- Makes you feel safe and secure
- Reflects your interests now – not just a scrapbook of what you liked in the past
- Materials for current projects if desired (Crafts, Sewing, Art, Writing, Reading, etc.)
- Good lighting – chose what works best for you – task or overhead (or both)
- Comfortable chair – at a minimum a good place to curl up with a good book or for a nap
- Way to have music to help set the mood
- Preferably a door – this helps the peaceful and private above as well as being able to close the door on whatever you are doing without fear of your project being disturbed
Possible Space for Your Retreat:
- Spare Room
- Corner of a Room
- Tiny Houses (dream big!)
If you would like inspiration on how to create your own private, secluded space here are some ideas for further reading. The following images contain my affiliate link where a small portion of the sale (at no cost to you) goes towards maintaining this site.
I’m very interested to know if any of you already have your own retreat. For the last year, I’ve had the pleasure of having my own office space in a spare room at our house. I’m surrounded by artwork I love, books that inspire me, and access to music I want to listen to. This has been a wonderful thing for me as I work in my creative endeavors. I would love to hear how you plan to either use a space you already have or create a space just for you. If you have your own space, please comment in the space below what you like to use it for.
Cheers to you and your room!
Did you enjoy this post? If so, don’t forget to share it on Pinterest!
While you are here, make sure you grab your copy of the "Self-Care Mini-Guide" to help you figure out how to add self-care to your daily life. Just click the link Loveselfcare Self-Care Mini-Guide to download your guide!